Shaheed Bhai Sarabjit Singh Sekhon


Bhai Sarabjit Singh Sekhon was born in the house of Sardar Gurbans Singh who was a Hawaldar of Punjab police, and from the womb of Mata Harbhajan Kaur in the Nankana village of Gari-Mahal, in Ajnala, district Amritsar. Bhai Sahib from childhood had a beautiful face. Mata Harbhajan Kaur had 4 younger sisters and 2 brothers. Bhai Sahib was the 1st child in the whole family and was looked after and brought up with the up most care. As Bhai Sahib was from a religious family, he also had Sikhi in him. Bhai Shaib never had a day that he didn’t do darshan of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji at his local Gurdwara, he was always ready to do sewa.

Bhai Sahib completed his primary education at the government school of Vandala Kalan and later in 1983 he passed his metric from a high school also in Vandala Kalan. Then Bhai Sahib passed from higher secondary school of Mehta. As long as Bhai Sahib studied he passed with flying colours and came first in all his subjects.

On 25th November 1986, Bhai Sahib joined Punjab police as a driver, he was posted at 772 Gurdaspur area, after working in Gurdaspur area for a while he was given the duty in Batala to drive the pilot jeep of SSP Gobind Ram. Bhai Shaib could not tolerate the evil acts of Gobind Ram. When Gobind Ram would torture Sikh girls, Bhai Sahib would book a holiday and came home. For many days after Bhai Sahib would not eat anything and be depressed. In the end Gobind Ram sussed Bhai Sahib out and had him transferred to Amritsar’s Shehrta Police Station.

Bhai Sahib would always recite bani, and explain the meanings of gurbani to others on a daily basis. Bhai Sahib would do 4 Sukhmani Sahibs beside his nitnem, towards the end something happened that changed Bhai Sahibs life forever. The Shaherta Police force arrested a Sikh youth on 4-5 Feb 1990 from Mal Mandi and killed him mercilessly in a fake encounter, this evil act of the ISF had changed Bhai Sahib forever. When Bhai Sahib and the police force reached the police station, Bhai Sahib grabbed and assault rifle, wireless set and on the government scooter with a friend who also was in the police went underground to join the Khadku Singhs. Bhai Sahib had many encounters with the ISF from which he escaped unharmed.

On 20th Feb 1992 Bhai Sahib was surrounded by the ISF as an informant had revealed the location of Bhai Sahib to the police. A fierce encounter took place in which Bhai Sahib was shot in the ankle, but Bhai Sahib continued to battle till his last breath. Later Bhai Sahib attained Shaheedi in the farms of Pala village in Mehta on 20th February 1992 at roughly 9.30pm

Sant Sipahi – August 1992