Shaheed Bhai Sarabjeet Singh Dharamkot

Khalistan Armed Force


Bhai Sarabjeet Singh Shubba was born in the year of 1963, in the house of Sardar Harbhajan Singh and from the womb of Mata Gian Kaur in the village of Dharamkot near Khujala, district Sri Hargobindpur. Bhai Sahib was the fourth eldest of 3 brothers and 3 sisters Bibi Paramjit Kaur, Bhai Surjit Singh, Bibi Surjit Kaur, Bhai Sahib himself, Bibi Amarjit Kaur and Bhai Manjit Singh. Bhai Sahib was born in the house of a farmer. Bhai Sahib studied up to 10th class at a government school in a nearby village of Khujala and then up to 12th class at a school in Batala. Bhai Sahib was an average teenager that followed Sikhi. After completing his studies, Bhai Sahib started helping father at the family farms. Sardar Harbhajan Singh started staying ill and Bhai Sahib would always look after his father.

In the year of 1987, Bhai Sahib was at the age of 24/25 years. Bhai Sahib lived a normal life at home. Then some people burnt the shop of a Hindu business man in Dharamkot. This incident was reported to the police and Bhai Sahib along with another 4/5 Sikh youths of the village were arrested in connection to this. Bhai Sahib along with other Sikh youths was innocent in this case. Bhai Sahib was sent to Gurdaspur jail for 6 months, during this time Bhai Sahib was tortured blindly. This injustice of the Punjab police had completely changed Bhai Sahib. In jail, Bhai Sahib met Bhai Kanwaljeet Singh Waheguru (Who had spent time with Sant Jarnail Singh Ji Khalsa Bhindranwale and after the attack of June 1984 had been fighting the Indian government for Khalistan) and it was from here Bhai Sahib pledged to fight against the injustices that were happening upon Sikhs.

After 6 months Bhai Sahib was released from jail. Now Bhai Sahib took Amrit from the Panj Pyare and joined Khalistan Armed Force under the command of Bhai Kanwaljeet Singh Waheguru. Bhai Sahib was now doing actions and punishing many anti-Sikh elements. The police received a wind of Bhai Sahib’s involvement in the Sikh freedom movement and started harassing Bhai Sahib and his family regularly. Bhai Sahib was very close to Bhai Santokh Singh Dharamkot, who from day one was with Bhai Sahib and these two Jhujaru brothers even attained martyrdom together. Within the Sikh Freedom Movement, Bhai Sahib did actions with the likes of Bhai Kuldeep Singh Fauji (Village Bham, near Qaddian), a Bhai Kabal Singh Fauji (Jalalpur, Sham Nagar, Amritsar), Bhai Gurmej Singh Geja (Dera Baba Nanak), Bhai Sohanjit Singh (Village Bhaniar, Gurdaspur), Bhai Baljit Singh Bara (Village Dhariwal), Bhai Baljit Singh Gurdaspuri and many more. Bhai Sahib was also very close to the Jhujaru Singhs of Bhai Jaswant Singh Ahluwalia’s group as they were mostly from the village of Khujala. Bhai Sahib was a keeper of high and pure thinking, he never held back from helping the poor and weak people.

On 20th November 1990, Bhai Sahib along with his Jhujaru brothers was travelling to Sri Hargobindpur from Batala. On the way, Bhai Sahib and Bhai Santokh Singh Dharamkot somehow separated from rest of the Jhujaru Singhs. Bhai Sahib was on a motorcycle. As these Jhujaru brothers travelled through the villages of Chaura Madhra and Kohli, at roughly 3:15pm Bhai Sahib met the Indian security forces head on. Both Jhujaru Singhs had only one AK74 between them. Soon as Bhai Sahib saw the police, he turned his motorcycle but this was too late the enemy had spotted the Singhs and started firing towards the Jhujaru Singhs and Bhai Santokh Singh Dharamkot was also shooting at the police from his AK74 as he was sitting at the back. Further up during this chase of police jeeps and Jhujaru Singhs motorcycle, Bhai Sahib, who was riding the motorcycle, had a collision with a tree. Now both Jhujaru Singhs were seriously injured. The Singhs dumped the motorcycle and ran into the sugarcane fields, where they tried to bandage and care for their wounds. During this time the Indian security forces had surrounded the whole area. CRPF and BSF had been called as well as the bulletproof tractors. The Jhujaru Singhs only had limited ammunition and continued to fight against the enemy. In the end at 5:30pm, both Jhujaru Singhs attained martyrdom.

After the police declared the bodies of the Singhs as unidentified and cremated both bodies in Batala. The following the newspapers, TV and radio reported the martyrdom of Bhai Santokh Singh Dharamkot and Bhai Sarabjeet Singh Dharamkot. Soon as the Bhai Sahib’s family got the news, they gathered the locals and in 3/4 buses full made their way to Batala and demanded the bodies of the martyrs. But the police had already cremated the bodies and in the end gave the ashes of both martyrs to their families.


Information given by the family of Shaheed Bhai Sarabjeet Singh Dharamkot