Shaheed Bhai Daljit Singh Malla

Babbar Khalsa


Amongst the fallen soldiers of the Sikh Freedom Movement, Bhai Daljit Singh Malla Babbar holds a down to earth reputation. The attack on Sri Harimandir Sahib in June 1984 by the Indian army had a life changing effect on Bhai Sahib. In 1985, Bhai Sahib passed 10th class at local school of his village Malla. Then Bhai Sahib passed 11th class at the LMR College in Jagraon. In 1987, Bhai Sahib took admission in to the ITI College of Ludhiana, to do a diploma in electrician course. At the ITI Collage, Bhai Sahib’s heart was not allowing him to concentrate on his studies. Bhai Sahib always wanted to do something for the Sikh nation. In these days Bhai Sahib took amrit from the Panj Pyare and coloured his life into the colours of the Sikh Gurus. Now Bhai Sahib wanted to dedicate his life to the Sikh Freedom Movement. While studying at ITI College, Bhai Sahib met Bhai Jagmail Singh Jagga Khanpur, who was the area commander of Khalistan Commando Force and this relation soon turned into a relation.

In January 1988, Inspector Sant Kumar of Raikot arrested Bhai Sahib for giving accommodation to Bhai Jagmail Singh Jagga of Khalistan Commando Force. Bhai Sahib was kept at CIA HQ of Jagraon and Ludhiana for three months where Bhai Sahib was brutally continuously tortured. The police charged Bhai Sahib with many fake cases and sent him to Ludhiana jail. In July 1988, Bhai Sahib was granted bail and released from Ludhian jail.

Once Bhai Sahib came out of Ludhian jail, Bhai Sahib re-joined the ITI College of Ludhiana and this time Bhai Sahib was elected as the president of the student union. Bhai Sahib had also started doing sewa secretly within the Sikh Freedom Movement, while living in Ludhiana away from home. When the Sikh Freedom Movement was in full swing, Bhai Sahib married the sister of Bhai Jagmail Singh Jagga, Bibi Narinder Kaur on 18th March 1990. Bhai Sahib had witnessed the birth of a son and a daughter. Bhai Sahib also did sewa with the Khalistan Commando Force singhs such as, Bhai Jagmail Singh Jagga and Bhai Darshanpreet Singh Raja. In July 1991, Bhai Darshanpreet Singh Raja attained shaheedi from the hands of Indian security forces. The shaheedi of Bhai Darshanpreet Singh Raja had deeply upset Bhai Sahib.

In October 1991, Bhai Sahib met Bhai Amrik Singh Kohli Babbar of Babbar Khalsa International and started doing actions with the singhs of Babbar Khalsa. On the 6th January 1992, Bhai Sahib attended a meeting of the Babbar Khalsa in the village of Shahabad Markanda, at this meeting many top Khadku Singhs had come to plan future actions of the movement. The police were also informed of this meeting through a black cat within the Babbar Khalsa. Within hours the police had surrounded the meeting location and started an all-out encounter with the singhs of the Babbar Khalsa. In this encounter some singhs of the Babbar Khalsa managed to escape but Bhai Sahib along with another 3 singhs from his group had attained shaheedi.

Bhai Daljit Singh Malla Babbar was born in the house of Sardar Mal Singh and from the womb of Mata Jageer Kaur on 2nd October 1968 in the village of Malla, district Ludhiana. Bhai Sahib was the youngest of three brothers and sisters. Bhai Sahib’s family would never have guessed that their young son would give his life for the chardikala of the Sikh panth. Bhai Sahib was handsome and got on with everyone, no matter what colour or creed. This was the reason Bhai Sahib was elected as the president of the ITI College in Ludhiana. The locals of Malla also spoke with high respects for Bhai Sahib, when we had gone to see his family to write this jeevani. After Bhai Sahib went underground, the family took all the police torture as the act of Waheguru. Today the singhni of Bhai Sahib, Bibi Narinder Kaur and her 2 children are studying at the gurudwara trust in Mahdhiana.

Tavareekh Babbar Khalsa – Karamjit Singh Sikhanwala