Shaheed Bhai Baljeet Singh Jiwan Nangal

Babbar Khalsa

Bhai Baljeet Singh was born in the year of 1964, in the house of Sardar Bachan Singh and from the Womb of Mata Surjeet Kaur in the village of Jiwan Nangal, near Shikar Mashian, district Batala. Bhai Sahib was the eldest of 3 brothers and 1 sister, Bibi Gurmeet Kaur, Bhai Rattan Singh, Shaheed Bhai Dalbir Singh alias Navpreet Singh Naka Todh and Bhai Satinder Singh.  Bhai Sahib was born into farming household. Bhai Sahib and his younger brother, Bhai Dalbir Singh completed their studies until 10th grade from a government school in Dharowali. Both brothers were firm in their Sikhi beliefs as well. Bhai Baljeet Singh had taken amrit and once his education was complete, he started working at the Board of Electricity in Batala.

At this time, the Sikh Freedom Movement was also active. Bhai Sahib came in contact with Bhai Gurmej Singh Dilwan, Bhai Dharam Singh Wadala Bangar, Bhai Harkanwal Singh Batala, Bhai Lakhwinder Singh Havelian and became close with these Jhujaru Singhs, later joining the struggle for freedom with the group Babbar Khalsa.

Soon after, Bhai Sahib’s family started being repeatedly harassed by the Punjab police. Bhai Sahib’s brothers, parents and other close relatives would often be arrested and tortured in police custody while police pressurized Bhai Sahib’s family for his surrender. Bhai Sahib would attack the police station many times in response and refused to give into pressure, continuing his struggle for freedom. Bhai Sahib was later made the Lieutenant General in his area by the senior Jhujaru Singhs of Babbar Khalsa.

On 14th April 1989, the Punjab police were informed of Bhai Sahib’s whereabouts, as he headed towards the village of Dyalgarh with Bhai Dharam Singh of Wadala Bangar on a scooter. Bhai Sahib was surrounded by CRPF on Dyalgarh Bridge and they only had one revolver at the time. As they got closer to the checkpoint, CRPF opened fire and killed both singhs, both attaining martyrdom that day.

After Bhai Baljeet Singh’s Shaheedi, his younger brother, Bhai Dalbir Singh alias Navpreet Singh Naka Todh also left home. After Bhai Baljeet Singh had left home, Bhai Dalbir Singh would often be taken for interrogation by the police. The fact that Bhai Dalbir Singh and his family were subjected to unbearable torture in police custody only made his desire for taking martyrdom like his brother, stronger. Thus, Bhai Dalbir Singh joined the struggle for freedom, to die for the cause his brother gave up his life for.

Prior to joining the movement, Bhai Dalbir Singh had completed his education up to 10thgrade and worked as a bus conductor. After his brother’s martyrdom, Bhai Dalbir Singh came into contact with Bhai Ajit Singh Qaddian of Khalistan Guerrilla Force and left home to join the Sikh Freedom Movement and became active in his area.

In 1993, the police were once again informed of Bhai Dalbir Singh’s whereabouts. Police surrounded the bus he was traveling in and took him into an interrogation centre where he was subjected to extreme torture. Bhai Dalbir Singh was made a martyr in police custody, due to an injury to his head. The Punjab police later staged a fake encounter near Nangal to cover up their role in the murder.


Information given by the family of Shaheed Bhai Baljeet Singh Jiwan Nangal