Shaheed Bhai Kulwant Singh Sada Singh Wala

Sikh Student Federation

In the attack done by Indian government on Sri Harimandir Sahib in June 1984, many Sikhs gave their lives defending Sri Darbar Sahib under the command of Sant Jarnail Singh Ji Bindranwale and General Subeg Singh. Shaheed Bhai Kulwant Singh from the village of Sada-Singh Wala is one of the lions from the army of lions that faught against the invading Indian army.

Bhai Kulwant Singh was born in the house of Sardar Gurdev Singh and from the womb of Mata Gurdev Kaur in August 1965 at the village of Sada-Singh Wala. Bhai Sahib was the eldest of 3 brothers, Bhai Nirmal Singh and Bhai Baljinder Singh, Bhai Sahib studied at a local primary school up until 5th class and passed his metric at high school of the village Dulapura. Bhai Sahib’s admission at Guru Nanak College in Moga was accepted.

These days Sikh Student Federation had a base at almost every college and Sikh youth that were panthic were joining Sikh Student Federation. Bhai Sahib became an active member of Sikh Student Federation of Faridkot. Sikh Student Federation of Faridkot was doing great sewa of spreading awareness and unity in this area. The strong holds of Sikh Student Federation in Moga area were Gurudwara Singh Sabha, Gurudwara Mata Kahan Kaur, and Gurudwara Akaalsar Sahib. After seeing the sewa Bhai Sahib was doing within the Sikh Student Federation, Bhai Amrik Singh made Bhai Sahib the deputy president of the Faridkot Sikh Student Federation.

In 1984 Bhai Sahib passed his B.A at Guru Nanak College but stayed a part of Sikh Student Federation. The police wanted Bhai Sahib, as he was doing positive sewa for the Sikh nation, but the excuse the police gave was that Bhai Sahib was wanted in connection with bombings of the CRP headquarters in Dharamkot and burning the Jalalabad railway station. Bhai Sahib started staying away from home as the police wouldn’t let him be in peace at home. Bhai Sahib started staying at Gurudwara Singh Sabha.

Early months of 1984, CRP surrounded many gurudwaras of the Moga area in search of Bhai Sahib. At Gurudwara Singh Sabha the CRP made bunkers around the gurudwara and were preparing to invade to arrest Bhai Sahib. The president of Sikh Student Federation, Faridkot unit had forcefully attained the Presidency and was working with the Indian government. Soon as CRP asked the singhs to surrender, this so called president put his hands up and came out, while Bhai Sahib and rest of the Sikh Student Federation wouldn’t come out without a fight. Now the singhs of Sikh Student Federation were under the command of Bhai Sahib. Bhai Sahib saw CRP making bunkers at a nearby roof which overlooked the gurudwara. Bhai Sahib made them the target and threw a grenade at these CRP personnel, but the CRP returned fire, shooting Bhai Sahib in the shoulder. The blind firing of the CRP injured many innocent Sikhs, who came to gurudwara just to pay respects. Bhai Sahib fully fulfilled the role of a President and not running away as the so called president did. Bhai Sahib would put cold water on the bullet wound and carry on fighting along with rest of the wounded singhs. CRP had stopped people and goods from entering the gurudwara, CRP was puzzled on how the sighs are surviving for so long. In fact the women of the houses next to the gurudwara were giving the singhs food over the walls, this was the reason why singhs survived as long as they did. CRP felt stupid and unorganised as their operation did not finish as quick as they thought.

Finally the news had got to Sant Jarnail Singh Ji Bindranwale, who prepared a press statement telling the CRP to leave the singhs at Gurudwara Singh Sabha alone or the Punjab will come to fight the CRP. The Indian security forces got scared and quickly packed their bags and moved out of Moga. Then under the command of Bhai Sahib the singhs of Sikh Student Federation came out needing treatment for their wounds.

After seeing all this, Bhai Sahib decided to stay with Sant Jarnail Singh Ji Bindranwale at Sri Harimandir Sahib. Bhai Gurtej Singh Chotian Khudar, Bhai Nirmal Singh Khukrana, Bhai Naib Singh Mahesheri, his brother Bhai Major Singh Mahesheri, Bhai Chamkaur Singh Chand Purana, Bhai Jugraj Singh Chuganwa, Bhai Gurbaksh Singh Langayana and Bhai Mandeep Singh Deepa also went with Bhai Sahib to stay at Sri Harimandir Sahib, Amritsar.

Some days after staying at Sri Harimandir Sahib, Bhai Sahib went home to see his family at the village of Sada-Singh Wala and to do some important work and after meeting his family for the last time, Bhai Sahib returned back to Sri Harimandir Sahib. It was surprising that Bhai Sahib did not treat his bullet wound on his shoulder and just covered the wound with bandages.

June 1984, the Indian government attacked the holy waters of Sri Harimandir Sahib, in which Bhai Kulwant Singh along with couple of hundred Sikhs faught back and attained shaheedi. Bhai Sahib’s bunker was near Sri Akaal Takht Sahib, Bhai Sahib killed many officers of the invading Indian army and attained shaheedi.

The family of Shaheed Bhai Kulwant Singh was harassed and tortured by the police after his shaheedi. The police would come to the house and ask for information on other freedom fighters.

Purja Purja Kat Maray – Baljit Singh Khalsa