Shaheed Bhai Sukhdev Singh alias Bapu Kharag Singh

Khalistan Liberation Force

Bhai Sukhdev Singh was born in the year of 1930 in the house of Sardar Kesar Singh and from the womb of Mata Amar Kaur in the village of Raib, near Narowal Sialkot (now in Pakistan). Bhai Sahib was the only brother to two sisters. Sardar Kesar Singh was a farmer and had earned enough to feed and look after his family. Bhai Sahib was able to read and write. In 1947 at the age of 16 years of age, Bhai Sahib had his Anand Karaj with Bibi Sawinder Kaur of village Chabbal, District Amritsar. Bhai Sahib would do farming to provide for his family, Bhai Sahib was an honest and a hard worker. Bhai Sahib was a lovable person and was always willing to help everyone. From his childhood Bhai Sahib had followed the values of Sikhi and always recited Gurbani. Bhai Sahib had four children Bibi Manjit Kaur, Bibi Sarabjit Kaur, Bhai Kuldeep Singh and Bhai Jarnail Singh. Bhai Sahib’s whole family were all followers of Sikhi. After partition the family moved to Qaddian Gujran, District Dehra Baba Nanak.

On 1st/ 2nd of June 1984, Bhai Sahib and some locals from his village had gone to Sri Harimandir Sahib to give their harvested crops for Langar. Bhai Sahib was also looking forward to do Darshan of Sant Jarnail Singh Ji Khalsa Bhindranwale. At this time the whole of Sri Harimandir Sahib Complex was heavily surrounded by the Indian Army. Eventually when Bhai Sahib finally got to do sangat of Sant Ji, the atmosphere was serious and Sant Ji told Bhai Sahib and the Singhs with him, “Singho, leave now but if the Indian Army attack Sri Darbar Sahib then make sure you answer them back.” Bhai Sahib returned back home and the words of Sant Ji were repeating themselves in Bhai Sahib’s head. Anyway the Indian Army attacked Sri Harimandir Sahib, demolishing Sri Akaal Takhat Sahib and killings thousands of innocent Sikhs. This had a deep impact on Bhai Sahib, now Bhai Sahib decided to avenge the massacre of Sikhs which was done by the Indian Government.

Then on 31st October 1984, Singhs took their revenge by killing the Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, in her own home. After in Delhi and all over India Sikhs were mercilessly burnt alive and women gang raped, this was all under the watchful eye of politicians and Indian security forces. Now there was an awakening of all Sikhs, that they were slaves and were not safe in India. This left Bhai Sahib heartbroken and wanting revenge even more than before. Bhai Sahib gathered like minded Singhs from his village and planned to go to Pakistan. Bhai Sahib along with Bhai Ajit Singh Pardhan Qaddian, Bhai Kuldeep Singh Qaddian Gujran and Bhai Narayan Singh Chaura went to Pakistan. Bhai Sahib stayed here for two and a half years and after completing his training, he returned back home. Once back in Punjab, all Singhs got together and established their own group under the command of Bhai Narayan Singh Chaura alias Bhai Shamsher Singh.

Bhai Sahib had taken Amrit in Pakistan and all the Singhs had sworn oath on Guru Maharaj to fight according to the rules of Gurmat. Bhai Sahib raised his weapons against the injustices of the India Government and left home once and for all. On many occasions Bhai Sahib fought against the Indian Security Forces and every time with the blessing of Guru Maharaj he escaped after causing heavy damage to the enemy. The CRPF and BSF were shaken to the core due to Bhai Sahib’s bravery and fearless actions. Once Bhai Sahib was travelling to one of his bases alone, on the way the Indian security forces hid themselves and were waiting for Bhai Sahib. Soon as Bhai Sahib got close to the enemy, he came under heavy fire. Bhai Sahib bravely fought all alone against the hundreds of Indian soldiers. Bhai Sahib managed to escape as he returned fire in the encounter, one Indian soldier was killed.

In August 1992, Bhai Sahib’s both daughters were married in the village of Qaddian Gujran. The Indian Security Forces knew that Bhai Sahib would definitely return home. Due to these thousands of Indian soldiers surrounded Bhai Sahib’s village. This was the reason why Bhai Sahib could not attend the Anand Karaj of his daughters. Few days after Bhai Sahib went to his daughter’s in-laws to give his blessings and love, in the village of Prem Nagar of Gurdaspur. An informant gave this information to the police. The Gurdaspur police surrounded the house and Bhai Sahib did not want to cause damage to his daughter’s in-laws house, due to which he surrendered and the police arrested Bhai Sahib. After being arrested Bhai Sahib was blindly tortured. The police wanted to know where the locations of fellow Jhujaru Singhs and stash of weapons were, but Bhai Sahib did not say a word. The police had crossed the limits of torture, Bhai Sahib’s nails were pulled out, both legs and arms of Bhai Sahib were broken.

In the end, on 31st August 1993 Bhai Sahib was made Shaheed in a fake encounter in the village of Cheema Beut, Gurdaspur. Bhai Sahib was made Shaheed along with Bhai Avtar Singh Kathunangal. While Bhai Sahib was alive, no Indian Security Force dared to harass the locals in Bhai Sahib’s area, no gangster or criminal committed any crime or looting.

Information given by family of Shaheed Bhai Sukhdev Singh alias Bapu Kharag Singh