Shaheed Bhai Gurmeet Singh Khudda

Bhai Gurmeet Singh was born in the year of 1968, in the house of Sardar Gurdas Singh and from the womb of Mata Pyar Kaur, in the village of Khudda, District Hoshiarpur. In Bhai Sahib’s family, he had one brother, Bhai Surjit Singh Granthi and 3 sisters, Bibi Tarlochan Kaur, Bibi Santosh Kaur and Bibi Bimal Kaur. Bhai Sahib’s whole family were Gursikhs and followed only the teachings of the Sikh Gurus. Sardar Gurdas Singh was a Patwari and always provided for his family. Bhai Sahib studied up to 8th class. Bhai Surjit Singh Granthi had a cycle repair shop and Bhai Sahib would mainly help his brother at the shop. Bhai Sahib had taken Amrit from the Panj Pyare in his childhood. Bhai Sahib always had taken great interest in the Sikh history.

In the year of 1983, Bhai Sahib was at the age of 15/16 years. The Dharam Yudh Morcha was at its peak and during this time, Bhai Sahib and fellow Sikhs from his area would regularly go and meet Sant Jarnail Singh Ji Bhindranwale. Bhai Sahib would always go to Sri Darbar Sahib on Sangraand and Massia to do Darshan and Ishnaan. It was during this time Bhai Sahib heard many speeches of Sant Ji from the stage of Sri Manji Sahib at Dharam Yudh Morcha conferences arranged by Akali Dal. Bhai Sahib also gave his arrest on many occasions during Dharam Yudh Morcha along with locals from his village. In the year of 1983, Bhai Sahib also gave his voluntary arrest with Baba Harnam Singh Rampur Khera and later with Akali Dal Minister, Jathedar Upkar Singh. Like this at a young age, Bhai Sahib started doing great amount of Sewa for the Sikh Panth.

Bhai Sahib stayed at Guru Ramdas Ji Sra with another Singh from his village, Bhai Jagjeet Singh Nihang who was introduced to Sant Ji by Bhai Surinder Singh Sodhi. Bhai Sahib looked up to Bhai Jagjeet Singh Nihang. Bhai Sahib did sewa with Akaal Federation President, Bhai Kanwarpal Singh Dhami and the right arm of Sant Ji, Bhai Surinder Singh Sodhi. Even before this, Bhai Sahib had done Sangat of Mahant Lal Singh from the Nirmala Samparda and also of Baba Nihal Singh from the Herian Vela Nihang Dal. Bhai Sahib also did most of his sewa with Shaheed Bhai Swaran Singh Nihang who was from the same village of Khudda Kurala as both shared the same love for Sikhi. Bhai Swaran Singh looked at Bhai Sahib as his brother and after the June 1984 attack on Sri Darbar Sahib, he attained Martyrdom in the Sikh Freedom Movement in the year of 1987.

Bhai Sahib always took part in Sikh awareness programs in the area. Bhai Sahib would always wear a Bana and continuously recite Gurbani. Bhai Sahib knew most of the Sikh prayers by heart at a very young age. As well as doing sewa at Sri Harmandir Sahib, Bhai Sahib also went to Gurdwara Taahli Sahib in village of Monkan, where he did his meditation and selfless service. In the year of 1984, the Dharam Yudh Morcha was still going strong and only getting stronger day by day. By now the Indian Security Forces had killed over 200 Sikhs during the Dharam Yudh Morcha. Akali Dal had now deserted the Dharam Yudh Morcha and had shaken hands with the Delhi Government. Even then the anti-Sikh elements weren’t able to stop Sant Ji, and he kept the Morcha going. In May 1984, Bhai Sahib had come home to meet his family, but his heart still wanted to be at Darbar Sahib.

By the end of May 1984, Bhai Sahib got the news that the Indian army were planning to attack Sri Harmandir Sahib. Bhai Sahib decided to go to Sri Darbar Sahib before it got surrounded completely and help fellow Jhujaru Singhs defend the sanctity of the Sikh throne, Sri Akaal Takht Sahib. Bhai Sahib’s family, relatives and even the neighbours tried to stop him from going to Sri Darbar Sahib, but nothing could stop him. Bhai Sahib went to the extent to say if his family don’t allow him to go, then he will come under the train and kill himself or take poison. Finally upon hearing that the family did Ardas to Maharaj to keep Bhai Sahib in high spirits and after, the family allowed Bhai Sahib to go. Even before this when Bhai Sahib had been staying with Sant Ji, his family would try to take him home but he would signal his family from the  rooftop of Sri Akaal Takht Sahib and telling them to go home after doing darshan as he wants to stay here doing sewa.

After leaving his family at home, Bhai Sahib reached the Sri Harimandir Sahib complex by himself. Shortly afterwards, following the orders of Indira Gandhi, the Indian army started to attack Sri Darbar Sahib with tanks and cannons. Under the orders of Sant Ji, handful of Singhs fought tens of thousands of Indian soldiers. Bhai Sahib’s bunker was near Manji Hall, opposite the langar hall. Bhai Sahib had a clear view of Sri Darbar Sahib and sent many Indian soldiers to hell with his rifle. In the end Bhai Sahib was shot and made shaheed on 5th or 6th June 1984. Bhai Sahib was seen to be fighting to his last breath and shouting war cries of Bole So Nihal Sat Sri Akaal.

Khalsa Fatehnama – April 2016