Shaheed Bhai Joginder Singh Kanda

Khalistan Commando Force

Bhai Joginder Singh Kanda was born in 1978 in the house of Sardar Kashmir Singh and from the womb of Mata Inderjit Kaur in the village of Gagobua near Jhabbal, district Tarn Taran. Bhai Sahib was the 4th eldest of 6 children, here are the names from eldest to youngest Bhai Parminderjit Singh, Bibi Harminderjit Kaur, Bibi Harjinder Kaur, Bhai Joginder Singh, Bibi Kulinderjit Kaur and Bibi Narinderjit Kaur. Sardar Kashmir Singh was a retired army soldier and after leaving the army continued to farm on his family fields. Sardar Kashmir Singh faught bravely in the war of 1961 in which he was wounded and due to this Sadar Kashmir Singh retired from the Indian Army.

Bhai Sahib studied up to 10th class at Gagobua’s Government School, a note Bhai Sahib passed his 10th class exams in March 1990, while he was underground. Bhai Sahib was in 6th or 7th class when he took Amrit from the Panj Pyare, Sardar Kashmir Singh was also a Gursikh and from childhood Bhai Sahib grew up around his father reciting and listening to Gurbani. Bhai Sahib was kind hearted and had a welcoming personality, Bhai Sahib would always prioritise helping the poor and needy. Bhai Sahib stayed at home till he was in 9th class and studied. Bhai Sahib also did Sri Akhand Paath Sahib rauls at the local gurudwara. Bhai Sahib’s family were wealthy and had no financial problems.

Numerous Sikh youth of Gagobua had joined the Sikh Freedom Movement as Jhujaru Singhs. Bhai Sahib started mixing in with the local Jhujaru Singhs and from January 1989 he started taking part in actions secretly. Bhai Sahib had joined Khalistan Commando Force under the command of Bhai Jassa Singh Ghuk of Mahne Malian village, which was also near Sursingh. Bhai Sahib always remained in high spirits and continued to do actions in the Sikh Freedom Movement on many occasions Bhai Sahib went to Pakistan to get training and also to collect weapons. Bhai Sahib was well trained in explosions and guerrilla warfare.

In October 1990, Bhai Sahib was arrested from Mahne Malian village and after being arrested he was blindly tortured. Bhai Sahib had been in jail custody for 9 days when he managed to fool the police and escape from the police station due to 9 day of cruel torture by the Punjab police, Bhai Sahib was seriously wounded and senior sighs of Khalistan Commando Force sent Bhai Sahib to Uttar Pardesh to get treated by a doctor. Even in Uttar Pardesh, Bhai Sahib established a good friendship with Jhujaru Singhs there. After getting better, on 1st June 1991 Bhai Sahib returned back to Punjab and continued to the Indian security forces. Bhai Sahib would always be anxious and ready to do sewa. Bhai Sahib also had a big reward on his head for his capture, dead or alive.

On October 3rd June 1991, Bhai Sahib and another singh from the same Jathebandi Bhai Surjit Singh from the village of Viram were resting in a house in Sursingh. Bhai Sahib was at this location due to orders from senior singh of Khalistan Commando Force. These singhs had few weapons and limited ammunition. Meanwhile an informant told the Bhikhiwind police of Bhai Sahib’s location. Upon receiving this information Bhikhiwind police and other Indian security surrounded the house Bhai Sahib was staying at, this happened 4 O’clock in the morning. Soon as Bhai Sahib realized that they had been surrounded, they started firing towards the enemy. Short time into the encounter Bhai Sahib’s fellow singh Bhai Surjit Singh Viram attained Shaheed. The police and Indian security forces were in big numbers while only one lion of Khalistan Commando Force, Bhai Sahib was ready to take on anyone. Bhai Sahib came out firing at the enemy and slowly moving towards his escape. In this encounter Bhai Sahib covered roughly 6 kilometres of ground and reached the village of Dhun, but the Indian army had cordoned Bhai Sahib’s route here also. Like a brave lion of Dhan Guru Gobind Singh Maharaj continued to fight the enemy. In the end at 11am, due to being shot by the bullet of CRRF, Bhai Sahib attended shaheedi.

The Indian security force took the body of Bhai Sahib and secretly cremated his body at a cremation in Patti. As soon as the news of Bhai Sahib’s shaheedi spread, locals from Gagobua and surrounding areas quickly reached Patti. The sangat asked the Indian security forces to hand over the shaheedi Saroop of Bhai Sahib. The Indian security forces agreed on allowing the sangat to do darshan of the shaheed saroop but did not hand their bodies over. Then the whole sangat witnessed the cremation of these two fallen soldiers of Khalistan. The sangat shouted, “Bhai Joginder Singh Zindabaad, Bhai Joginder Singh Amar Rahe.”

Information given by the family of Shaheed Bhai Joginder Singh Kanda