Shaheed Bhai Dharam Singh Dilwan

Khalistan Liberation Force

“Jithe Dulda Khoon Shaheedan Da

Takdeer Badaldi Kauma Di”


To free India from the British, the Sikhs gave the most shaheediyan, but only Hindus were given freedom, whilst the Sikhs still remain slaves in the country they freed. The Nehrus and the Gandhis ignored the promises they had once made to the Sikhs. Many steps were taken to defame the Sikhs in the eyes of the world. Since 1947, the Sikhs have been attacked physically and mentally, even though more than 90% martyrs for India’s freedom were Sikhs. What respect or honour can India give to the Sikhs, when India has not even recongnised the Sikh as a separate identity.

How much could the Sikhs tolerate? In the end, Sant Jarnail Singh Ji Bhindranwale raised the flag for the freedom of the Sikhs and in this battle many Sikhs contributed with their lives. Amongst such Sikhs was Bhai Dharam Singh, born in the house of Sardar Sant Singh and from the womb of Mata Surjit Kaur in the village of Dilwan, district Sangrur on 14th July 1965. Bhai Sahib had 4 brothers and sisters. Bhai Sahib passed his primary education at a local school of Dilwan. While studying, Bhai Sahib started taking part in panthic sewa and always sang the following poem:

“Ajay Ki Hai Sadha Pankhayruan Da,

Assi Dasan Gay Jando Tehlaan Gay.

Assi Gabru Toot Di Shati Wargay,

Jinah Shango Gay Onha Hi Felaangay.

Jithe Gae Tusi, Assi Vi Aae Jaano,

Baldi Chikha Hon Thhandi Nahi Hon Deni.

Garam Rakhna Dorh Kurbanian Da,

Lehar Hakaan Di Randi Nahi Hon Deni.”


As well as being a Khadku Singh, Bhai Sahib was also a very strong speaker. After passing 10th class, Bhai Sahib took admission into TPD College in Ful. At college Bhai Sahib was made the general secretary of Sikh Student Federation. While in Sikh Student Federation, Bhai Sahib regularly met Sant Jarnail Singh Ji Bhindranwale, Bhai Amrik Singh and General Subeg Singh. Bhai Sahib would always fulfil his duties that were given to him be Sikh Student Federation with love.

After the attack on Sri Harimandir Sahib in 1984 by the Indian army, Thanedar Balbir Khera arrested Bhai Sahib and after blind torture, Bhai Sahib was sent to Bathinda jail. Soon Bhai Sahib was acquitted from all the fake charges that were put against him, upon being released Bhai Sahib started doing sewa within Sikh Freedom Movement in secret. Bhai Sahib got the local Sikh youth involved into the Sikh Freedom Movement as well, singhs such as Bhai Phoola Singh Sanghera, Bhai Jagroop Singh Jagjitpura, Bhai Rajvir Singh Jassi, Bhai Naib Singh Rureke, Bhai Dinple Singh Barnala, Bhai Gurmukh Singh Darhi Mansa, Bhai Harpinder Singh Goldy and other singhs stood shoulder to shoulder in the Sikh Freedom Movement. Bhai Sahib was still doing actions in secret.

On 18th June 1989, Bhai Sahib got married to Bibi Baljit Kaur. On the second day after the marriage, Thanedar Bikramjit Singh arrested Bhai Sahib from home at 8 o’clock in the morning. But soon the local panchayat managed to have Bhai Sahib released from the police station. Five days later the Punjab police arrested Bhai Sahib again and this time Bhai Sahib was blindly tortured. Bhai Sahib was tortured at different police stations of Punjab. None of the family members knew where Bhai Sahib was or even if he was still alive. Bhai Sahib was inhumanly tortured but never gave any information of fellow singhs to the Punjab police. When the police got no information from Bhai Sahib, he was sent to Ladha Kothi, where police officer Joginder Kutiwal tortured Bhai Sahib further.

One day Julio Francis Rebeiro visited many torture camps in Punjab. Bhai Sahib’s health was very weak, Rebeiro ordered the police party to send Bhai Sahib to Barnala jail. When the family received the news of Bhai Sahib being alive, they were overwhelmed. When the family went to see Bhai Sahib at Barnala jail, they saw Bhai Sahib covered in brusies and unable to fully move. Bhai Sahib had not yet recovered, when the Ludhiana police took Bhai Sahib and said, “We have arrested Baldev Singh Ghudahni and he is saying your name.” The police had killed Bhai Baldev Singh Ghudahni in a fake encounter and had planned to kill Bhai Sahib also. Soon as the family found about this, they quickly approached the local minister and had Bhai Sahib transported to Ludhiana jail. Even here Sumedh Saini tried to take Bhai Sahib away many times, but due to the very weak health of Bhai Sahib the judges did not allow a police remand. After Ludhiana jail, Bhai Sahib was sent to the high security jail in Nabha.

After spending 9 months in jail, Bhai Sahib came home on 13th March 1990. Bhai Sahib managed to stay at home for 2-4 days without having the police bothering him. Soon after Sumedh Saini was transferred to Bathinda and would send local police parties to Bhai Sahib’s house daily. Due to the continuous harassment of the police, Bhai Sahib decided that he will no longer sit at home. Bhai Sahib went underground and started punishing the traitors of the Sikh Panth.

Bhai Sahib received the news of the birth of his son, Bhai Harjot Singh when Bhai Sahib was underground. Bhai Sahib was very delighted upon hearing this great news. In 1991-92 Bhai Sahib had many encounters with the Indian security forces, but always escaped unharmed. The Punjab police, CRPF and the BSF were always left suffering, but Bhai Sahib never came into their hands. In the end the police managed to get a black cat to infiltrate Bhai Sahib’s group. Slowly this black cat earned the trust of the Khadku Singhs including Bhai Sahib. Then on 1st March 1992, the black cat arranged a meeting with Bhai Sahib. Bhai Sahib attended this meeting alone, taking the advantage of this, the black cat shot Bhai Sahib and added Bhai Sahib’s name amongst the Sikh martyrs. At that time Bhai Sahib was doing sewa within Khalistan Liberation Force.


Khalsa Fatehnama – May 2008