Shaheed Bhai Sukhwant Singh alias Sukhdev Singh Bamb

Khalistan Armed Force


Bhai Sukhwant Singh Randhawa was born in year 1968, in the house of Sardar Pritam Singh and from the womb of Mata Pritam Kaur in village Bamb, near Fatehgarh Churian. Sardar Pritam Singh had 8 sons and 3 daughters, Bhai Sahib was 7th eldest child. Bhai Sahib was born into a farming family and was encouraged to study to a high level. Bhai Sahib passed 12th class at the local government school and then went onto study BA at a college in Dhianpur village. Bhai Sahib was very intelligent and every exam he took, he passed with high marks. Sardar Pritam Singh bought up all his children inheriting the same love and respect he had for Sikh values and principles. From a young age, Bhai Sahib had taken Amrit from Panj Pyare and from that day on he never missed his daily prayers (Nitnem).


In June 1984, Indira Gandhi sent the Indian army to attack the Sikh throne and to capture the gallant defender of Sikhi and justice, Sant Jarnail Singh Ji Khalsa Bhindranwala, Bhai Sahib was a student of 12th class. Bhai Sahib would daily hear the news of Sikhs being martyred by Indian forces and this had a deep effect on him. Bhai Sahibs elder brother, Bhai Satnam Singh was in the Indian army and rebelled against his barrack during the attack on Sri Harimandir Sahib. Bhai Satnam Singh was arrested and jailed for 2 months within his army barrack.


Then in 1986, Bhai Sahib was arrested by CRPF soldiers as he travelled to college. This arrest was done merely because Bhai Sahib matched the description of an Amritdhari Sikh. Bhai Sahib was missing for almost 1 month, while in CRPF custody he was tortured blindly. After many attempts by the family to locate Bhai Sahib, the CRPF dropped him off at the Fatehgarh Churian police station from where Bhai Sahib was released to his family. When the family saw Bhai Sahib, he was literally half dead, unable to walk. From here on Bhai Sahib and his family started getting targeted by Indian security forces, they would regularly get arrested and tortured without any reason. Bhai Sahib was the most targeted person from his family.


In 1990, Bhai Sahib finally had enough of the police brutality and after performing an Ardas, he left home to join Jhujaru Singhs on the battlefield who were fighting the brutal regime of Indian government for freedom. Bhai Sahib came in contact with Bhai Sarabjit Singh Udhoke, Bhai Chanchal Singh Udhoke and other Jhujaru Singhs of Khalistan Armed Force, who had also left their homes and were fighting against the Indian security forces. Bhai Sahib joined Khalistan Armed Force and soon earned the respect for his dedication and bravery. Bhai Sahib fought alongside this Jhujaru group till his last breath. Bhai Sahib had personality with which he could make anyone laugh, and whenever his Jhujaru brothers were down he would cheer them up. Because Bhai Sahib’s village was Bamb, the Jhujaru Singhs started calling Bhai Sahib Bamb also. Another alias Bhai Sahib used was Bhai Sukhdev Singh Bamb.


On 18th February 1993, Bhai Sahib along with Bhai Davinder Singh alias Harpreet Singh Gora were travelling unarmed to Gurdaspur in a car. As their car approached Gurdaspur City, they were surrounded by Punjab police at a checkpoint. Both Jhujaru Singhs were arrested and tortured. The same night when the police were unable to get any other information from Bhai Sahib, at 2 o’clock in the morning of 19th February 1993, the police took both Jhujaru Singhs near the Thermal Plant of Gurdaspur and made them martyrs in a fake encounter. After this staged encounter the bodies of Shaheed Bhai Sukhwant Singh Bamb and Shaheed Bhai Davinder Singh alias Harpreet Singh Gora were cremated by the Punjab police as unidentified bodies at a cemetery in Gurdaspur.


The following the Rozana Jag Bani newspaper printed this article on 20th February 1993:



Vinod Gupta from Gurdaspur reports that the district police were successful in their battle against militancy, when the city police force killed Khalistan Armed Force general, Sukhwant Singh alias Sukhdev Singh alias Bamb and lieutenant general, Davinder Singh alias Harpreet Singh alias Gora in an encounter on the outskirts of the city.


The head of Gurdaspur police Sumant Goyal said, the police received information that militants were going to carry out a big action in the city and were on their way to Gurdaspur. On this information the local police in-charge, Prem Kumar set up a checkpoint near the milk plant on the link road. It was roughly 02:30am, 2 youth were seen coming from the direction of Mankaur village. The police signalled them to stop and surrender themselves, but they started firing at the police. But due to information already attained, the police were prepared and returned fire. Roughly after half an hour of battling, the firing stopped and we found the dead bodies of 2 militants. On the scene we found 2 AK47 assault rifles, 6 ammunition magazines, heavy number of ammunitions, 5 kilos of explosives, 1 stick bomb, 3 detonators, the stars that are put on police uniforms and Khalistan Armed Force letter pads.


The Gurdaspur police head also said the bodies of these militants were identified as Khalistan Armed Force general, Sukhwant Singh resident of village Bamb (Dera Baba Nanak) and Davinder Singh resident of Pilowal (Kathu Nangal). According to Mr Goyal, after the death of Chanchal Singh Udhoke, Sukhwant Singh was made the chief of Khalistan Armed Force. He also said that these 2 militants were wanted by Punjab, Haryana, UP and Bombay police for more than 250 murders as well many kidnapping/ransoms cases. The Punjab police had put the reward of 5 Lakh Rupees on Sukhwant Singh’s head and 1 Lakh Rupees on the head of Davinder Singh.


Information given by the family of Shaheed Bhai Sukhwant Singh alias Sukhdev Singh Bamb