Shaheed Bhai Satnam Singh Changiara

Khalistan Liberation Force

Bhai Satnam Singh Changiara was born in the house of Sardar Dara Singh and from the womb of Mata Resham Kaur in the village of Kotli Koratana, district Amritsar. Bhai Sahib was the fifth eldest of 7 brothers and one sister. Bhai Sahib was raised in farming household and completed his basic education up until 6th grade. From a young age, Bhai Sahib helped his family run the farms and then later opened up a small grocery shop in Ajnala. Bhai Sahib had also taken Amrit and lived his life as a Gursikh. Bhai Sahib was engaged to Bibi Shinder Kaur (Village Thathi, Lopoke Chugawan) and they were wed in 1986.

In 1984, before the attack on Sri Darbar Sahib, Bhai Sahib would go listen to Sant Jarnail Singh Ji Khalsa Bhindranwale speak during Dharam Yudh Morcha. In June 1984, the Indian army attacked Sri Darbar Sahib and killed Sikh pilgrims in their thousands. During the attack the Sikh youth along with Bhai Sahib tried making their way to Sri Harimandir Sahib but were stopped by the army due to a strict curfew. It was on the 25th day after the attack that Bhai Sahib managed to get to Sri Darbar Sahib and here he swore to take revenge for the desecration of the Sikh throne. It was at Sri Darbar Sahib that Bhai Sahib cried looking at the bullet marks in Sri Akaal Takht Sahib. Bhai Sahib met Baba Gurbachan Singh Manochahal and Bhai Karaj Singh Thande on the Parikarma and all singhs did Ardas to fight for freedom till their last breath.

It was also during this time Bhai Sahib was adversely affected by the Indian government’s malicious actions and after the attack, became active in organizing with others that felt this pain. On 16th April 1990, Bhai Sahib along with fellow Jhujaru Singhs burnt down the prestigious conference complex of Delhi, the Vigyan Bhavan building. This was done as a mere warning to the government for delaying a solution to the Punjab problem. Vigyan Bhavan was among 220 buildings in Delhi which had been declared unsafe because of inadequate fire control measures, said Delhi Fire Service Chief SK Dheri.

Bhai Sahib befriended Bhai Malkeet Singh Ajnala, Bhai Tarsem Singh Mattewal, Bhai Major Singh Khatrai Kalan and initiated his fight for Khalistan. Due to his actions, Bhai Sahib became known in his area. After some time, Bhai Sahib started doing actions for Khalistan Liberation Force, where he met Bhai Resham Singh Thande, Bhai Gurjant Singh Budhsinghwala, and Bhai Pipal Singh Dholewal.

Bhai Sahib spent most of his time in Makhu Malwa area, Uttar Pardesh, Siyam in Madhya Pardesh. The government had set a bounty of 10 Lakh Rupees on Bhai Sahib’s head. Ultimately, Bhai Sahib had to cut his hair in order to disguise himself while entering Pakistan to retrieve ammunition for the armed struggle. Bhai Sahib made many successful trips to and from Pakistan. Bhai Sahib’s selfless service was acknowledged by all Jhujaru Singhs and had earned him their respects. Bhai Sahib also played a major part in stopping the labourers from Bihar and Uttar Pardesh flooding into Punjab and committing petty crimes all over the state.

On 4th December 1990 in the village of Fatehwal, district Ajnala, Bhai Sahib was sitting with another Jhujaru Singh from the village of Vanjawal) near a farm. This information reached the Punjab police and CRPF, within minutes they surrounded the area. The first shot was fired by the enemy towards the Jhujaru Singhs which missed Bhai Sahib. When the sons of Dhan Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj returned fire, many bodies in CRPF uniform fell to the ground with a one way ticket to hell. During the encounter, Bhai Sahib’s Jhujaru Brother who was with him was shot and Bhai Sahib decided to stay by his side. Bhai Sahib fought until his last breath and attained martyrdom. The CRPF also suffered heavy loss of life and equipment.

Bibi Shinder Kaur gave birth to Bhai Sahib’s daughter, Bhujangan Sukhraj Kaur on 11th July 1991. After roughly seven months of Bhai Sahib’s martyrdom, his older brother Bhai Mohan Singh was arrested by the police and till today what happened to him has not been established, nor his dead bodies was recovered. Sardar Dara Singh was also killed by black cats that were on the payroll of Punjab police.

Information given by the family of Shaheed Bhai Satnam Singh Changiara

Sant Sipahi – October 1991