Shaheed Bhai Partap Singh Bittu

Khalistan Liberation Force

Bhai Partap Singh Bittu was born in the house of Sardar Karaj Singh and from the womb of Mata Jageer Kaur in the village of Dubli, district Patti. Sardar Karaj Singh made his living by working on his family farms, he had 5 children in total and Bhai Sahib was the second eldest. Bhai Sahib studied up till 10th class at the government school of Dubli village. From a young age Bhai Sahib had started to help his father in the farms as well as studying at the same time. Bhai Sahib was dearly loved by all family members and also the local villagers. Bhai Sahib always had a smile on his face and showed respect to everyone.

In 1988, Bhai Sahib had passed his 10th class. Due to Bhai Sahib’s village being close to the Mand area, Jhujaru Singhs of Khalistan Liberation Force would regularly pass through Dubli. Jhujaru Singhs such as Bhai Anar Singh Para, Bhai Harbhajan Singh Mand, Bhai Major Singh Pala and others would regularly pass by Bhai Sahib’s house. Bhai Sahib had always been interested in the Sikh freedom movement as the attack on Sri Darbar Sahib in June 1984 had a deep impact on Bhai Sahib. Seeing Jhujaru Singhs regularly made Bhai Sahib want to do sewa with his Jhujaru brothers also. Bhai Sahib had started building his trust with the Jhujaru Singhs and short time after Bhai Sahib joined Khalistan Liberation Force under the command of Bhai Anar Singh Para. Bhai Sahib use to say that he wanted to fight the Indian security forces with top weapons and hence everytime his group of Jhujaru Singhs attacked any police station or CRPF headquarters, Bhai Sahib would search for weapons and loot the armoury. Bhai Sahib also told his fellow Jhujaru brothers that when he attained shaheedi, he wanted a top weapon beside him, so that when Indian security forces see this they would ask themselves, “How did this Singh get that weapon?” Bhai Sahib punished many anti-Sikh elements in his area and always remained in high spirits.

Due to Bhai Sahib being from a Gursikh family, he himself also followed the Sikh principles and values. Short while after joining the group of Bhai Anar Singh Para, Bhai Sahib took Amrit from Panj Pyare with the blessings of Dhan Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj. During his Jhujaru life Bhai Sahib never missed his Nitnem, in fact Bhai Sahib had started reciting other Sikh prayers also. For the 2 years Bhai Sahib did sewa with Khalistan Liberation Force, he had earned the respect of Jhujaru Singhs with his brave actions and honest deeds. Bhai Sahib was nicknamed Bittu because he had a great skill of aiming down his targets with assault rifles. Bhai Sahib would regularly say that he was very fortunate to be doing sewa with Jhujaru Singhs such as Bhai Anar Singh Para, Bhai Harbhajan Singh Mand, Bhai Major Singh Pala, Bhai Satnam Singh Kalian Sakatran, Bhai Sukhdev Singh Valtoha, Bhai Yadwinder Singh Goldy, Bhai Sukhdev Singh Sangatpura, Bhai Ranjit Singh Rana Sangatpura, Bhai Keval Singh Duhal, Bhai Swarn Singh Granthi, Bhai Rasal Singh Thathi Jaimal Singh, Bhai Avtar Singh Bittu and many more Jhujaru Singhs of Khalistan Liberation Force.

On the night of 21st June 1990, Bhai Sahib along with fellow Jhujaru Singhs were travelling to Punia via Varnala village. At this moment Bhai Sahib was with Bhai Anar Singh Para, Bhai Ranjit Singh Rana Sangatpura and another 2 Jhujaru Singhs. A bridge on the outskirts of Punia village was heavily guarded by the Indian security forces but the Jhujaru Singh did not know of this. Upon approaching the bridge, Bhai Sahib and fellow Jhujaru Singhs came under heavy fire from the CPRF checkpoint. Bhai Ranjit Singh Rana Sangatpura was shot and had attained shaheedi. The remaining 4 Jhujaru Singh took positions and started firing back. This fierce battle between Indian security forces and the sons of Dhan Guru Gobind Singh Ji went on for many hours. Unable to tame the Jhujaru Singhs, more reinforcements were called via the wireless sets. Bhai Sahib told rest of his Jhujaru brothers to escape and he will give them cover fire. The Jhujaru Singhs did not want to leave Bhai Sahib behind, but Bhai Sahib insisted that they go from here alive so they can fight another day.  The three Jhujaru Singhs made their escape as Bhai Sahib continued to battle the Indian security forces himself. In the darkness of the night Bhai Sahib caused fatal damage to the CRPF.

During the battle Bhai Sahib managed to move through the farms of Punia village and into spare room which was built next to electrical water tubal, from where Bhai Sahib took his position and faught with bravery. This battle had started at 1am on 22nd June 1990 and continued for roughly 8 hours, Bhai Sahib had killed two CRPF soldiers and had wounded many more. Soon Bhai Sahib’s ammunition was to finish, at this point Bhai Sahib turned his gun to his head took his own life and attained shaheedi. Bhai Sahib never gave himself up to the enemy alive, he took this satisfaction away from the Indian security forces. Bhai Sahib’s body was not given to the family straight away, but after the locals got together in their thousands, the police had no other choice but to give the body of Bhai Sahib to the family. Supporters of the Sikh struggle for freedom from all over Punjab came to Dubli village to say their final Fateh to a fallen soldier of Khalistan as he was being cremated. The local villagers have built a Nishan Sahib for Bhai Sahib’s memory, they also installed a water fountain and planted a Pipal tree in remembrance of Bhai Sahib. The family holds a Shaheedi Smagam every year on 22nd June in the village of Dubli.

When singing praises of Shaheed Bhai Partap Singh Bittu, the Kavishers sing:

“Singha Nal Matha Lgaa Ke, Singha Phana Lai Wadaya Sahna.

Bhai Partap Singh Bittu Dubli Wala Launda Theek Nishana.”


Information given by the family of Shaheed Bhai Partap Singh Bittu