Shaheed Bhai Palwinder Singh Sona
Shaheed Bhai Palwinder Singh Sona
Khalistan Liberation Force
Bhai Palwinder Singh Sona was born in the year of 1973, in the house of Sardar Ajit Singh and from the womb of Mata Satnam Kaur in the village of Khalera, near Jandiala. Bhai Sahib was the youngest of 6 children, he had 3 sisters and 2 brothers. Because Bhai Sahib was the youngest, the family loved him very much. Bhai Sahib was a great student and had studied up to 9th class at the local school of the village. From a very young age Bhai Sahib had followed the core values of Sikhi that the Gurus had passed down to the people. Bhai Sahib had been reciting Nitnem and Gurbani from his childhood.
The attack on Sri Harimandir Sahib in June 1984 by the Indian army had a deep impact on Bhai Sahib. The fact that thousands of Sikh unarmed pilgrims were mercilessly killed by the Indian army, made Bhai Sahib wanting justice but how could the government that ordered the mass killings of Sikhs in the first place give justice to the Sikhs? The news of the martyrdom of Sant Jarnail Singh Ji Bhindranwale was sad news for people of Punjab, especially Singhs like Bhai Sahib who would not let the government off for their hideous crimes against the Sikhs. Bhai Sahib had started looking for Jhujaru Singhs to join in the battle to break the chains of slavery that the Sikhs were living in, under the racist Hindu regime.
During the year of 1989, the Sikh armed struggle for freedom was at its peak and Bhai Sahib’s area was under the command of Jhujaru Singhs. Bhai Harjinder Singh Jinda of Khalistan Commando Force was from the village of Gadli, next to Bhai Sahib’s village and the stories of Bhai Jinda’s actions were like and encouragement to the Sikh youth to do sewa of the Sikh panth by jumping into the battlefield. In 1989 Bhai Sahib was close to the exams for his 9th class, during this time a Jhujaru Singh by the name of Bhai Tasbeer Singh Jhander of Khalistan Liberation Force was active in Bhai Sahib’s area. Once Bhai Tasbeer Singh Jhander came to Bhai Sahib’s house for langar and it was from here Bhai Sahib made his links with Jhujaru Singhs and saw an avenue to getting freedom. After Bhai Sahib did the sewa of Langar 2/3 times for the Jhujaru Singhs of Khalistan Liberation Force, Bhai Sahib requested to join Bhai Tasbeer Singh Jhander’s group. Looking at the love for Sikhi of Bhai Sahib, he was accepted into the group of Jhujaru Singhs.
In the short time Bhai Sahib showed his bravery and courage, this made the name of Khalistan Liberation Force shine bright in the eyes of the Indian security forces. Fellow Jhujaru Singhs respected Bhai Sahib for his brave actions and humble personality. Under the command of Bhai Tasbeer Singh Jhander, Bhai Sahib did many actions with Jhujaru Singhs such as Bhai Lakha Singh Dubli, Bhai Jasbeer Singh Tanda, Bhai Behab Singh of village Bhangu, Bhai Jhirmal Singh Gheri Mandi, Bhai Jagjeet Singh Jaggi Udhoke (Mehta), Bhai Harpal Singh Pala (Jandiala), Bhai Amarjit Singh Sheikhapura (Near Jentipur, Amritsar), Bhai Tarsem Singh Laddi (Village Thhathhe, near Manan, Patti), Bhai Baldev Singh Meherwanpur (Jandiala), Bhai Jagir Singh Fauji Kala Afghana, Bhai Jaswinder Singh Gandasa (Chachowali, Batala), Bhai Kulwinder Singh Bhola (Village Khara, Tarn Taran) and many more brave Jhujaru Singhs.
Bhai Sahib remained in the armed struggle for roughly 3 years until he attained martyrdom, but during his time in the movement he did many actions, some are written below:
- Bhai Sahib would hold Khalsa Panchayats and ask the villagers to report any domestic problems or crime to the Khalsa Panchayat, so that the justice could be served. Bhai Sahib would gather 20/25 Sarpanchs from villages in his area and listen to their concerns. Bhai Sahib would also give a chance for criminals to change.
- Bhai Sahib delivered justice to Harbhajan Sandhu an Agricultural Minster of Punjab. Sandhu had increased his wealth from the blood of martyrs of Khalistan and also played a part in Operation Black Thunder along with Surjit Barnala. Khalistan Liberation Force gave Bhai Sahib the duty to send Harbhajan Sandhu to hell.
- In 1991, along with fellow Jhujaru Singhs of Khalistan Liberation Force kidnapped the grandson of Foreign Minister, Gurnath Bhatia. In return the Jhujaru Singhs demanded the release of Bhai Anokh Singh Ubhoke, who was one of the very close singhs of Sant Jarnail Singh Ji Bhindranwale. Only upon the release of Bhai Ubhoke, was the grandson of the Foreign Minister released.
- On many occasion, Bhai Sahib and fellow Jhujaru Singhs blew up vehicles, checkpoints and bases of India security forces. It was due to these actions the police were thirsty for the blood of Bhai Sahib.
- Near the village of Lalpura, Bhai Sahib planted mines and blew up 2 CRPF jeeps in which 2 inspectors and 7 soldiers were killed.
- Bhai Sahib also punished SSP Makhan Singh and his family for their role in killing many Jhujaru Singhs and also torturing the families of Jhujaru Singhs.
- Bhai Sahib and Bhai Tasbeer Singh Jhander told the University of Patiala to not take bribes from students who wanted to do MBBS, instead give equal opportunities to the children from poor families.
Bhai Sahib would always do Ardas before doing actions for the betterment of the Sikh nation. Bhai Sahib would take responsibility of all his actions. Bhai Sahib would also release press notes in the newspapers to make the public of Punjab aware of the injustices that the Punjab police were committing on its people. In 1989 when Bhai Satwant Singh and Bhai Kehar Singh were given the noose, Bhai Sahib and fellow Jhujaru Singhs opened fire on extremist Hindus in the city of Abohar who were celebrating the fact that the government had sentenced the sons of Guru Gobind Singh Ji with death. In this action 35 people were killed and about 70 injured. Some Jathebandis were against this action and due to informants Bhai Sahib was arrested and brutally tortured in relation to this action. The Singhs of Khalistan Liberation Force kidnapped the cousin of Swaran Ghotna and had Bhai Sahib released in return.
In the year of 1991, the Indian government had upped their campaign against the Jhujaru Singhs. The Punjab police were killing unarmed Sikh youth in fake encounters as well as Jhujaru Singhs, this evil tactic of the police was making normal families that supported the movement turn their backs on the Jhujaru Singhs. Bhai Sahib and Bhai Tasbeer Singh Jhander were living underground in the city of Amritsar and only came out to do actions. The Punjab police were hunting for Bhai Sahib and fellow Jhujaru Singhs like mad dogs. Once Bhai Sahib and Bhai Tasbeer Singh were travelling out of Punjab to do a mission for Khalistan Liberation Force. On 19th December 1991, Bhai Sahib and Bhai Tasbeer Singh were surrounded at the Amritsar train station after an informant had given their location to the police. Bhai Tasbeer Singh was successful in getting away from the police but Bhai Sahib was arrested. Upon being arrested Bhai Sahib was brutally tortured for information but Bhai Sahib remained in high spirits. The police asked Bhai Sahib to identify himself and for the names of his parents, Bhai Sahib replied by saying, “I am Palwinder Singh Sona, my father is Guru Gobind Singh Ji and my mother is Mata Sahib Kaur. I am from Sri Anandpur Sahib.” The police officer was really angry after hearing Bhai Sahib’s answer and started beating Bhai Sahib. In the end Bhai Sahib attained shaheedi during the blind torture by the Punjab police.
After the martyrdom of Bhai Sahib on 24th April 1992, Bhai Tasbeer Singh Jhander and fellow Jhujaru Singhs held a Sri Akhand Paath Sahib for the Chardi Kala of Bhai Sahib at a secret location.
Information given by the family of Shaheed Bhai Palwinder Singh Sona