Shaheed Bhai Meharban Singh Bhuttar

Babbar Khalsa


Bhai Meharban Singh Bhuttar Babbar was saintly and the image of purity. From childhood Bhai Sahib was into Sikhi. When Bhai Sahib was in 9th class, he took amrit from the Panj Pyare. Bhai Sahib would always recite Gurmat shabads in his heart. At home Bhai Sahib bought a cassette player especially to listen to religious cassettes. Bhai Sahib did not allow anyone to play or listen to lustful songs.

Bhai Meharban Singh Bhuttar Babbar took birth in the house of his grandparents in the village of Deepsingh Wala on 7th August 1969. Bhai Sahib was born from the womb of Mata Gurmail Kaur and to father, Sardar Saadhu Singh. Bhai Sahib had two sisters and 1 brother, Bhai Paramvir Singh, who suffers from Poliomyelitis and is disabled. Bhai Sahib studied up till 5th class at his grandparent’s village of Deepsingh Wala. Later Bhai Sahib passed his 10th class in the local school of village of Bhalayana. As no job was found after studies, Bhai Sahib started helping the family in the farms.

Soon Bhai Sahib secretly started staying in contact with the local singhs of Babbar Khalsa. Bhai Kehar Singh Jhabbal Babbar was arrested by the police after an informant had given the information, the same informant lied about Bhai Sahib to the police. The CIA of Bathinda arrested Bhai Sahib from home and for a month continuously tortured Bhai Sahib. After the painful for month, Bhai Sahib was handed over to the police of Mukhatsar. Here the police charged Bhai Sahib with many fake cases and put him in Faridkot jail and after spending 8 months in Faridkot jail, Bhai Sahib was transferred to Sangrur jail. Upon release Bhai Sahib joined the Babbar Khalsa under the command of Bhai Balwinder Singh Ganga and Bhai Darshan Singh Akalian. As Bhai Darshan Singh was older, Bhai Sahib gave him the same respect as his father. 31st March 1990, Bhai Sahib was arrested again and after lengthy torture, Bhai Sahib was released.

Bhai Sahib was married to Bibi Mandeep Kaur and had one son, Bhai Satinder Singh. One night the Faridkot police and CIA raided Bhai Sahib’s house, luckily Bhai Sahib managed to escape the arrest but the police arrested the whole family. After this Bhai Sahib never returned home and started doing actions with the singhs of Babbar Khalsa. The police labelled Bhai Sahib a terrorist, but the Sikhs labelled him a warrior of the panth. For the chardikala of the Sikh Freedom Movement Bhai Sahib did actions day and night. As Bhai Sahib had been blindly tortured before the Punjab police and the CIA, Bhai Sahib decided not to get caught by the police alive.

On Sunday the 7th February 1993, at roughly 10pm Bhai Sahib was travelling on his own to meet some Khadku Singhs, but the police had surrounded Bhai Sahib. When the police ordered Bhai Sahib to surrender, Bhai Sahib knew if the police caught him alive they would blindly torture him again, but more important if the police had caught Bhai Sahib there could be possibility that police could have got information from Bhai Sahib via evil torture tactics, so Bhai Sahib took a capsule of Sy-Nyde to attain shaheedi.

The Punjab police put Bhai Sahib’s body at a scene of an encounter and declared him to be killed at this encounter. Thanks to Shaheed Bhai Meharban Singh Bhuttar Babbar’s shaheedi, as it kept the Sikh Freedom Movement alive.

Tavareekh Babbar Khalsa – Karamjit Singh Sikhanwala