Shaheed Bhai Mahinder Singh Pappu

Khalistan Liberation Force

Bhai Mahinder Singh was born on 10th April 1969 in the house of Sardar Joginder Singh and from the womb of Mata Sawarn Kaur in the village of Othian, near Ajnala district Amritsar. Bhai Sahib studied up till 8th class at the local village school. After Bhai Sahib dropped school and started helping his father in the farms. It was during this young age that Bhai Sahib became attached to Sikhi and soon had taken Amrit from the Panj Pyare. Bhai Sahib hardly got angry and always had a smile on his face.

In June 1984, when the Indian army attacked Sri Harimandir Sahib, thousands of innocent and unarmed Sikh pilgrims were mercilessly killed by the Indian army. This attack was done to shut the free voice of the Sikhs, but it took the opposite effect. Sikh youth around the world wok up and rose up for their freedom. Thousands of Sikhs took part in the armed struggle for Khalistan as living in India under slavery was not an option. Bhai Sahib wanted revenge for the heartless killing of his Sikh brothers and sisters he started reaching out to the Jhujaru Singhs who were active on the battlefield.

Mata Sawarn Kaur was originally from the village of Kohli and Bhai Sahib would regularly go there to visit his uncles. It was in this village that Bhai Sahib came in contact with Bhai Dilbagh Singh Kohli, who was the area commander for Khalistan Liberation Force. Bhai Sahib looked up to the pure and Gursikh life of Bhai Dilbagh Singh Kohli. Bhai Sahib had started living in Kohli village with his uncles. After meeting the Jhujaru Singhs on many occasions, Bhai Sahib made a request to Bhai Dilbagh Singh Kohli to join his group and do sewa for Khalistan till his last breath. Bhai Sahib was accepted with open arms for his kindness and bravery. From that day on Bhai Sahib did many brave actions and always accepted everything as an order of Akaalpurakh. Bhai Sahib had earned respect from Jhujaru Singhs from all freedom fighting groups for his honesty and bravery.

Sometime into his Jhujaru life, Bhai Sahib was arrested from Kohli village and taken to Mal Mandi CIA Staff where he was blindly tortured for information on fellow Jhujaru Singhs. Bhai Sahib gave no information and took on every torture tactic of the Punjab police. Bhai Sahib was charged with many fake cases but they did not stick in court due to no evidence. In the end Bhai Sahib was released and he came back home to Othian village, but even at home Bhai Sahib remained in contact with the Jhujaru Singhs of Khalistan Liberation Force. Bhai Sahib was continuously harassed by the Punjab police, in fact his family members were also made victims of Punjab police harassment.

The police station of Othian was attacked by the Jhujaru Singhs in which many police officers were killed. The Ajnala police arrested Bhai Sahib on suspicion, under Ajnala police custody Bhai Sahib was blindly tortured. Once again after few months of court cases, no evidence and no witnesses saw the release of Bhai Sahib. Soon as Bhai Sahib was released the following day the police raided Bhai Sahib’s village to arrest him again. Using his wisdom, Bhai Sahib did not come into the hands of Punjab police and had decided to stay with Bhai Dilbagh Singh Kohli. Bhai Sahib was fighting the centre government and the corrupt police officers, he always gave respect and love to the normal people as they were not the enemy.

After the martyrdom of Bhai Dilbagh Singh Kohli, Bhai Sahib did sewa under the command of Bhai Bikramjit Singh Fauji. In the end on 16th August 1991, Bhai Sahib was with some of his Jhujaru brothers travelling from the village of Kalian Dhur. When this group of Jhujaru Singhs reached the village of Makhi, they came in contact with a CRPF checkpoint and a fierce battle started between the two sides. In this battle Bhai Sahib was shot in the leg, he realised that it would be hard for him to escape now and insisted to others Jhujaru Singhs to escape. The fellow Jhujaru Singhs did not want to leave Bhai Sahib but they were given no choice, Bhai Sahib took his position and kept the enemy at bay while his Jhujaru brothers made their escape. Even in after being wounded Bhai Sahib continued to battle the Indian security forces from 9pm to 5am on 17th August 1991, he sent many enemies to hell. In the end when Bhai Sahib had lost to much blood and he had fell unconscious, when the police heard no return fire they closed up on him and shot him multiple times.

The body of Bhai Sahib was not given to the family and was cremated by the Punjab police as an unidentified body. When the family of Bhai Sahib found out about his martyrdom, they performed his final Ardas in which many thousands of Sikhs and Jhujaru Singhs in disguise attended to pay their final tribute to the fallen soldier of Khalistan.

Sant Sipahi – August 1993