Shaheed Bhai Komaljit Singh Komal

Khalistan Liberation Force


Bhai Komaljit Singh Komal was born on 13th May 1965, in the house of Sardar Sudagar Singh and from the womb of Mata Mukhtiar Kaur in the Chur Chak, district Moga. Bhai Sahib had an older sister, Bibi Balwinder Kaur. Bhai Sahib studied up till 10th class at the local government school and after started helping his father in their farms.


In 1985, a cruel police officer in the Moga area by the name of Gobind Ram was wreaking havoc on Sikh youth. He had arrested 10 Sikh men from Bhai Sahib’s village. One of the arrested Singhs, was found with a Sikh Student Federation membership receipt which stated the names of other Singhs who had joined the organisation, Bhai Sahib’s name was on this receipt. Few days after, Bhai Sahib was arrested and blindly tortured at the hands of Punjab police. Bhai Sahib was charged with false cases and sent to Faridkot jail where he spent 6 months locked up.


When Bhai Sahib came back home, the Punjab police again started harassing him and family members. The Bagha Purana police arrested Bhai Sahib, and he endured merciless torture by the police but fortunately, Bhai Sahib’s family managed to free him on bail. When Bhai Sahib came back home, his family did his Anand Karaj with Bibi Ranjit Kaur from the village of Dangian, in April 1990.


Bhai Sahib had only been married for 1 month, when the Jagraon police arrested Bhai Sahib in May 1990. Once again, Bhai Sahib was tortured and charged with false cases and sent to Nabha jail, where he spent 9 months and in February 1991, Bhai Sahib was released on bail.


Jhujaru Singhs who Bhai Sahib had links with had kidnapped 21 Hindu businessmen from Bhai Sahib’s area. The plan was to lure DIG Mangat to come to the area so that the Jhujaru Singhs could assassinate him. But the plan did not work and the 21 businessmen were than let go. After this, Bhai Sahib left home and joined the Sikh struggle for Khalistan. The Punjab police now started harassing the family members of Bhai Sahib to get to him. To avoid this continuous harassment, Bhai Sahib’s family also left home and went into hiding. Newly married Bibi Ranjit Kaur was changing her address to avoid police harassment and living with different relatives. The police looted Bhai Sahib’s house, even the doors and windows were looted by the police.


In his Jhujaru life, Bhai Sahib punished many anti-Sikh elements. Bhai Sahib did Jhujaru actions under Khalistan Liberation Force and alongside the likes of Bhai Gurmail Singh Gela (Kaunke), Bhai Tarsem Singh Sema (Kaunke), Bhai Jagtar Singh (Shota Kaunke) and Bhai Punjab Singh Sibia. Some of the Jhujaru actions Bhai Sahib did are:


  • Bhai Sahib and fellow Jhujaru Singhs assassinated an organization director, who had many Sikh men arrested and tortured.
  • In 1991, Bhai Sahib blew up a bullet proof tractor that was kept at the Chur Chak police station.
  • Bhai Sahib attacked and blew up CRPF vehicles in Dalla village and killed many police officers.


The Indian security forces feared the name of Bhai Sahib. If they found out the location of Bhai Sahib, the first question the police would ask is if Bhai Sahib is armed. Bhai Sahib being unarmed is the only chance the Indian security forces had of capturing Bhai Sahib.


During this time, on 7th March 1992, Bibi Ranjit Kaur gave birth to Bhai Sahib’s son Palwinder Singh. Bhai Sahib had named his son after a brave Jhujaru Singh of Khalistan Liberation Force from Amritsar, Shaheed Bhai Palwinder Singh Sona. Since Bhai Sahib left home to join the Sikh struggle, he only saw his son once.


On 26th July 1992, Bhai Sahib was travelling on a minibus through Aittiana village, near Sudhar. An informant saw Bhai Sahib and quickly informed the local police station. The police stopped the minibus and arrested Bhai Sahib as he was unarmed. Bhai Sahib tried to swallow a cyanide capsule, but was unsuccessful. Swaran Ghotna was in charge of the interrogation of Bhai Sahib, as he was well known for his hatred towards Jhujaru Singhs. Bhai Sahib was blindly tortured and asked about fellow Jhujaru Singhs and where their bases were, but Bhai Sahib did not even open his mouth. In the end, Bhai Sahib was taken to the Galib village, near Jagraon, where he was martyred in a staged encounter.


As none of Bhai Sahib’s family members were living at their home, the police bought Bhai Sahib’s brother-in-law from Ludhiana to identify the body of Bhai Sahib. The Punjab police cremated Bhai Sahib’s body and did not give his ashes to the family. Bibi Ranjit Kaur accepted this as doing of God, and did not get remarried. The family of Bhai Sahib returned to their home in 1993.


Information given by the family of Shaheed Bhai Komaljit Singh Komal