Shaheed Bhai Harjinder Singh Arjanpur

Khalistan Liberation Force

Bhai Harjinder Singh Jinda was born in the year of 1974, in the house of Sardar Wassan Singh and from the womb of Mata Jasbir Kaur in the village of Arjanpur, district Gurdaspur. Bhai Sahib had a younger brother, Bhai Gurpartap Singh. Bhai Sahib went to DAV School in Qaddian until grade 12 and started his Bachelors’ Degree in Gurdaspur. Bhai Sahib excelled in his studies and also had a mindset of a Gursikh. In 1982, the struggle for Sikh rights began in Punjab. Although Bhai Sahib was very young at the time, he started attending the Dharam Yudh Morcha initiated by Sant Jarnail Singh Ji Khalsa Bhindranwale. Eventually, Bhai Sahib joined All India Sikh Student Federation and was arrested in May 1984 in Ludhiana with a Shaheedi Jatha.

The attack on Sri Darbar Sahib in June 1984, left a deep scar on Bhai Sahib’s heart, he started speaking out against the injustices and the crimes committed by the Indian government. Bhai Sahib arranged many protests with singhs from Sikh Student Federation condemning Operation Bluestar. In 1986, Bhai Sahib helped gather sangat so they could attend Sarbat Khalsa at Sri Akaal Takht Sahib, Amritsar. During this time, Bhai Baljit Singh Pappu from Bhai Sahib’s village (Arjanpura), became his close associate as well as Bhai Tarsem Singh Kohar, Bhai Sukhdev Singh Jhamke and Bhai Wassan Singh Zaffarwal. Bhai Sahib had started doing actions with the Jhujaru Singhs of Khalistan Liberation Force.

Also during this time, informers in Bhai Sahib’s village would give false statements against Jhujaru Singhs to get them arrested. Bhai Sahib along with Bhai Baljit Singh Pappu dealt with these informants and also confiscated the weapons that were provided to them by the police. A declaration was made that they wouldn’t let any injustice take place against any Sikh, Hindu, or any other faith in their area. In a short amount of time, police started fearing the name Bhai Harjinder Singh of Arjanpur and a bounty was placed on Bhai Sahib’s head. Bhai Sahib then joined Khalistan Liberation Force under the command of Bhai Avtar Singh Rupowali and did many brave actions.

In 1987, Bhai Sahib was at the peak of his missions when he was betrayed and turned into the police by a traitor. Bhai Sahib was arrested, charged, and sent to Nabha Jail. On March 29th 1987, Punjab police made an excuse to shift him to Faridkot Jail, but instead took him out and killed him in a fake encounter in the village of Bhuttar. Bhai Sahib’s family wasn’t given a chance to see his body as it was cremated by the police without anyone’s knowledge.

Information given by the family of Shaheed Bhai Harjinder Singh Arjanpur