Shaheed Bhai Gurmukh Singh Bugga alias Gambheer Sitta
Dasmesh Regiment

Sardar Mehar Singh son of Arjan Singh are residents of village of Bugga. Sardar Mehar Singh is a simple farmer. Bibi Veer Kaur, wife of Sardar Mehar Singh gave birth to 5 sons, eldest son Bhai Harbhajan Singh, Bhai Sukhchain Singh, Bhai Kulwant Singh, Bhai Gurmukh Singh and youngest son Bhai Baldev Singh. Bhai Sahib was born in the year of 1973 and studied up till 5th class at the local village school, after Bhai Sahib started helping his father and brothers in their farms. Bhai Sahib was very calm and full of love, he respected everyone no matter if they were young or old and whole village would always compliment Bhai Sahib’s kindness. Bhai Sahib was active in sports especially Kabbadi, but some close family members did not like this. These members of the family tried everything in their power to eliminate Bhai Sahib, they even went to the police and said Bhai Sahib had contact with the Khadku Singhs and this way the police might kill him. The police arrested Bhai Sahib and tortured him by having the Ghotna rolled onto his legs, but Bhai Sahib had no contact with Khadku Singhs, so what could he have told the police? Bhai Sahib was locked up with another Singh who also had been tortured. The window in this cell was barricaded with a weak metal grill. Bhai Sahib used his brain and spoke to the singh he was locked with, “Brother, the police are going to kill me, but if you help me I can escape.” The other inmate said, “Brother, how can I help you?” Bhai Sahib answered, “With your help I can break the window and escape but you got to stay quiet all night and not shout to make the guards aware. If they ask you in the morning, just say that you were sleeping. The police won’t do much more than shout at you.” the fellow inmate agreed to help Bhai Sahib. Bhai Sahib then stood on the other Singh’s shoulders to break the window and the darkness of the night helped Bhai Sahib succeed in escaping. By the morning Bhai Sahib reached a safe place and the police did not treat Bhai Sahib’s case seriously.

Bhai Sahib reached home and the police did not chase him. But how could people that hated Bhai Sahib’s success and his loveable personality sit still. Then Bhai Sahib got busy with household duties. Bhai Sahib never thought about hurting anyone emotionally or physically. Once the relatives that hated Bhai Sahib told some Khadkus that Bhai Sahib was involved in having the Singhs arrested, when the Khadku Singhs came and asked Bhai Sahib, “Are you Gurmukh Singh?” Bhai Sahib said, “Yes Baba Ji.”  These Khadku Singhs were companions of Bhai Labh Singh of Khalistan Armed Force. Khadku Singhs said, “Do u speak against Khadku Singhs?” Bhai Sahib answered, “Baba Ji, I cannot even think about talking against Singhs, someone has misinformed you.” Bhai Sahib’s parents were also telling the Khadku Singhs that there has been some misunderstanding. Two Khadku Singhs grabbed Bhai Sahib and took him outside meanwhile another 3 Khadku Singhs surrounded Bhai Sahib’s parents but Sardar Mehar Singh followed his son. Instead of being afraid, Bhai Sahib showed his bravery, Bhai Sahib pushed the Khadku Singh who was holding him and freed himself. The 2 Khadku Singhs tried to grab Bhai Sahib but he quickly ran off and escaped. Bhai Sahib spent a few days here and there hiding. Bhai Sahib then returned to his house in the village of Bugga.

The enemies of Bhai Sahib in a disguise of relatives were still trying to have Bhai Sahib killed. Bhai Sahib tried to stay out of the sight of others as much as possible, to avoid problems, at night Bhai Sahib would rarely sleep at home. Bhai Sahib soon met a Singh of the Dasmesh Regiment from the neighbouring village of Matewal, Bhai Gurnam Singh Secretary and explained his problem to him. The Jathedar of the Dasmesh Regiment, Bhai Seetal Singh Matewal dug around the villages for the truth and after made Bhai Sahib a soldier of the Dasmesh Regiment and said, “Gurmukh Singh you are now part of Dasmesh Regiment, you will now have to follow the code of conduct according to Dasmesh Regiment. Without the authorisation of the group you are not allowed to do any action. To free the Sikh panth from slavery and attain Khalistan you must not be afraid to battle the Indian security forces, you must forget your personal differences and personal enemies.” Jathedar Seetal Singh Matewal assigned Bhai Sahib as his body guard and kept Bhai Sahib with him at all times, Bhai Sahib also fulfilled this role with all of his heart and bravery.

Jathedar Seetal Singh treated Bhai Sahib as his right arm. Bhai Sahib use to say, “Anyone who informs the Indian security forces about Sikhs should be ready to face serious consequences (Gambheer Sitta) even the police officers that harassed families of the Singhs will face serious consequences, if we have an encounter with Indian security forces in a house then we will swallow Sy-Nyde and give shaheedi, and if an encounter happens in an open field then we will show the paid and trained soldiers of India the wrath of the Jhujaru Singhs, and the true meaning of serious consequences (Gambheer Sitta).” As Bhai Sahib repeated the words Gambheer Sitta in his speeches regularly, the Singhs of Dasmesh Regiment nicknamed Bhai Sahib Gambheer Sitta.

In September 1991, the Indian security forces were fighting to eliminate the Sikh Freedom Movement and the Jhujaru Singhs, this operation was code names Operation Kanga. The hideouts of the Jhujaru singhs were being raided, even the hideouts of Jathedar Seetal Singh were raided. Families that shared the same pain as the Jhujaru Singhs made a humble request to Jathedar Seetal Singh and his group to leave the area for a while until danger goes away. As the police were hunting Singhs like wild dogs, Jathedar Seetal Singh’s answer to his supporters was, “My brothers, thank you for supporting us even after the police have harassed everyone, the support that you have given us, and are giving us, we will not get the same support from anywhere else. You have accepted me as your son, and I promise you, I will attain shaheedi in front of you. A man who can run away and hide from fear of another man, but there is no running away from death. Death is guaranteed and is in the hands of Akaal Purakh. Gurbani says, ‘Maran Likhai Mundal Meeh Ai.’ Akaal Purakh has decided the death before everyone’s birth.” Jathedar Seetal Singh, Bhai Tarsem Singh, Bhai Gurnam Singh Secretary, Bhai Gurdyal Singh Marrian Punia and Bhai Sahib, had promised the panth that if they were surrounded by Indian security forces in someone’s house they would give shaheedi by swallowing a capsule of Sy-Nyde or if they were surrounded in an open ground they will show the world a glimpse of Chamkaur Di Gali.

On 10th September 1991, a 5 Singhs of Dasmesh Regiment, Jathedar Seetal Singh, Bhai Tarsem Singh, Bhai Gurnam Singh Secretary, Bhai Gurdyal Singh Marrian Punia and Bhai Sahib were bathing at a water tubal in the farms of Sardar Santokh Singh in the village of Balowali. A singh from the neighbouring village and also a good talker who worked as a Homeguard was also there helping the Singhs with water. At that time Singhs had limited weapons. The Homeguard thought to himself, “I should inform the police about these singhs today. It will be easy to capture Jathedar Seetal Singh and the group as how long can they last with few weapons.” The love for Sikhi had faded in the heart of the Homeguard and the greed had taken over. The Homeguard thought, “Jathedar Seetal Singh alone has 40 Lakh Rupees reward on his head plus others Singhs too. All of my financial problems will be solved and I will be rich. These Singhs are going to be caught by the Indian security forces sooner or later. So I might as well gain from the situation. Singhs did Ishnan and then Homeguard started walking towards his village. The Homeguard informed the DSP Operation Narinderpal that the Singhs of Dasmesh Regiment are in the farms of Balowali.

On that particular morning the Singhs were at Balowali village in Majitha. They were sat next to the field motor of Sardar Santokh Singh Ji. It had been 14 hours since the last time they had eaten any food. At 9am as the Singhs were testing their weapons, the daughter of Sardar Santokh Singh Ji came to the field motor with food for the Singhs. The Singhs seeing their sister do this sewa were extremely happy. They put their weapons to one side and started to do an ardas to Maharaj to thank him for the food they were about to eat.

As soon as the ardas had finished, Bibi Ji glanced over the fields of oranges and caught sight of several armoured vehicles and jeeps with machine guns mounted on top. The Singhs looked at their sister’s face and they immediately knew something was wrong. Before eating a morsel of food, the lions of Guru Gobind Singh Ji stood up and saw the same scene, which Bibi Ji was looking at. They knew that the Indian Armed Forces would be within shooting distance soon. As a result of this the Singhs quickly told their sister to go back to her house as they left their food and picked up their weapons.

As Bibi Ji ran through the fields back to her house she was caught by the Indian Army. They began to question her about what she was doing and where she was going. The shameless Indian Armed Forces began to harass this daughter of Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj. The Singhs could bear all the pain in the world but they could not bear the pain of seeing their sister being disrespected in this way. As a consequence of this a hail of bullets started to fly through the Hindustani Terrorists who had dared to insult the daughter of Guru Sahib.

The ‘brave’ armed forces of Hindustan began to fear for their lives as they saw their comrades dropping to the floor under the fire of Bhai Seetal Singh Ji’s Draganov Rifle. The commanders of the Indian Army recognized the sound of Bhai Sahib’s Draganov (standard, deadly accurate, Russian sniper issue) Rifle. It is said not a single bullet from Jathedar Seetal Singh’s Draganov was ever wasted. Despite sending hundreds of soldiers to face Dharam Raj, these five Singhs of Guru Sahib began to notice that they were being encircled by the Indian Armed Forces, as bullets were now beginning to fly in all directions.

Rather than becoming disheartened the lions of Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj began to smile even more as they saw martyrdom closing in on them. In fact before this battle began to rage the Singhs did bhangra and made many jokes about it. These lions had no fear of death, it didn’t matter if they died today or tomorrow, they had already cut off their heads and placed them at the feet of Guru Sahib.

One important point to note is that during this particular battle the group of singhs had one Draganov rifle, one GPM rifle and three AK47 rifles between them along with a few rounds of ammunition. With these limited weapons and ammunition the five hungry Singhs of Guru Gobind Singh Ji started to fight the combined might of the Indian Armed Forces who had amassed over 12,000 men.

Some villagers who witnessed this unique battle say that when Bhai Seetal Singh Matewal would press the trigger on his Draganov rifle all that would remain were dead Indian soldiers, whose blood painted the fields red. Hour after hour ambulance sirens would be heard taking the dead and injured back to the city hospital. After a while the Indian Armed Forces began to think that it was they who were outnumbered and outgunned. Not in their wildest dreams could they have imagined that it was only 5 Singhs who were holding them and pushing them back towards Delhi.

In an attempt to save their soldiers from what had become a killing ground, the commanders of the Indian Army ordered their troops to take defensive positions under the cover of fields, which were over 7 feet high. As the Singh’s saw the Indian soldiers retreating they decided to break up. One by one they would make their way into the fields which the soldiers had taken cover in. When they caught sight of troops belonging to the Indian Armed Forces they would let out a burst of fire whilst bellowing Jaikaray (war cry). After killing a dozen soldiers in this way they would then turn around and head back to their place.

After hundreds of thousands of bullets had been fired the Indian Army began to think that most of the Singh’s that they were fighting against were dead or injured. As a consequence of this a loudspeaker system was brought on to the battlefield. The chief commander of the Indian Armed Forces then began to speak. In his announcement he asked the Singhs to lay down their weapons and to come out. As he was making this announcement the Singhs began to increase the intensity of their fire. Every time such an announcement was made, the lions of Guru Sahib would respond with a rain of bullets.

The Commanders of the Indian Army then authorized the use of mortar shells and bombs, which began to be lobbed on what they thought, were the Singh’s positions. Despite hundreds of bombs being launched at the Singh’s, the rain of bullets did not stop. The soldiers of the Indian Army who were ordered to take up offensive positions refused to do so. They told their commanding officers that as soon as they stepped foot on to the battlefield, they would be cut to pieces like so many of their fallen comrades.

The commanders who had authorized the use of mortar shells and bombs were shocked that despite such heavy bombardment the Singh’s continued to rain down bullets as the army continued to lose more and more men. After several meetings the officers came to the conclusion that the Singh’s must have underground bunkers, which they were hiding in as the bombardment was taking place. These Commanders who had fought in many wars and had undergone lots of training in warfare did not know that Singhs fight like lions in the jungle without any fear. They did not know that these lions didn’t need any bunkers to protect them as they already had the biggest protection of all provided by their king, Dhan Dhan Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj.

After many hours of bombardment the Indian Army commanders decided to bring in bulletproof tractors. Jathedar Seetal Singh saw one of these tractors coming towards him he immediately opened fire towards the doors of the tractor. Jathedar Seetal Singh was such a good marksman that most of the bullets he fired hit the hinges which held the doors in place. After a few minutes Jathedar Seetal Singh managed to remove both doors from either side of the tractor. When this had happened the CRPF soldiers who were inside the tractor began to scream as they quickly retreated. As they reversed the Singhs showered the tractor with bullets until it had gone past their firing range. In this way, Jathedar Seetal Singh managed to neutralize three other, not so, bulletproof tractors. These tractors came under such heavy fire from the Singhs that they caught fire and exploded. The Punjab Police used to claim that these tractors could kill Chador when it came in range and that they could not be stopped. In their eyes the tractors were indestructible.

As the fields were being painted red with the blood of Indian Soldiers the sun began to set. In a few minutes darkness spread everywhere and the battlefield only saw flickers of light as bullets continued to cut through the air. The Indian Armed Forces did not know where to shoot anymore, due to this reason they began to fire in all directions with little success. In an attempt to find the Singhs who were still cutting down any soldier who dared to step on the battlefield, the Indian Army began to fire chemical bombs into the air which were made to light up the sky. Whenever such a bomb flew into the sky within a few seconds it would come crashing down due to the fire of Jathedar Seetal Singh’s Draganov Rifle.

The Indian Government was becoming increasingly frustrated at the army’s inability to crush the resistance of what they thought was a group of a hundred Dasmesh Regiment fighters. The government had placed all the legions in Northern India at the disposal of the Indian Commanders who were involved in this ‘Anti-Terrorism Operation’ and yet for every bullet which was fired towards the Khalsa ten would come back.

The Indian Army was not the only side that could call on reinforcements. As news spread from one village to the next about the 5 brave hearts of Punjab who were holding and repelling the army of Delhi tears of happiness began to fall from the eyes of other Jhujaru Singhs. These Singhs performed an Ardas in front of Guru Sahib and taking his name on their lips and his weapons in their arms they headed in the direction of the battlefield to fight alongside their brothers.

The Regiment Singh’s of Bhai Kulwant Singh, the Tiger Force Singh’s of Bhai Hardev Singh and Bhai Balwinder Singh surrounded the same Indian troops who had encircled the five lions of Guru Sahib. In this way battles began to rage on four separate fronts as Indian troops fell to the floor under the constant fire of the Khalsa’s bullets. As this was happening Baba Gurbachan Singh Ji Manochahal, general of the Bhindranwale Tiger Force of Khalistan arrived at the village Oudoka where he joined the Singhs in all-out war. Bhai Sukhwinder Singh Pappu Gora and his Singhs from Khalistan Commando Force also joined in the Khalsa’s fight as they broke through the cordon of the Indian troops. Upon seeing Bhai Sukhwinder Singh Pappu return to help his brothers, the local villager’s spirits began to soar with love and pride.

The Indian Generals became worried that the local villagers may join the Jhujaru Singhs who were helping Jathedar Seetal Singh. As a consequence of this they spread a rumour that Jathedar Seetal Singh Ji Matewal and his Singhs had escaped and left the battlefield.

When morning broke the Indian Commanders began to see the devastating results of exchanging bullets with the Khalsa. The once green battlefield had become a mass graveyard of Indian troops as the stench of blood and death filled the air. Reports began to flood Delhi as Indian Commanders demanded the release for the first time of Vijayanta main battalion tanks in addition to other armoured reinforcement units. As the sun rose, the cover of darkness deserted the Singh’s and the Indian Gatling guns began to spray so many bullets into the air that it looked like a dark cloud had descended on Bhai Tarsem Singh Matewal, Bhai Gurdial Singh and Bhai Gurmukh Singh Bugga. Without any fear these brave beloved sons of Guru Sahib drank the nectar of martyrdom.

After Jathedar Seetal Singh Matewal saw his brothers in arms kiss the noose of death, he stopped firing his Draganov rifle. Bhai Sahib decided to wait for the Indian Armed Forces to come and pick up their dead and injured. As the Indian Army began to do this Bhai Seetal Singh and Bhai Gurnam Singh sat in the fields where they did a final Ardas to Maharaj. They knew the end was near. When the Singhs finished their Ardas Jaikaray began to bellow through the skies. Upon hearing the thunderous voices of these two brave hearts of Punjab the Indian Army directed their assault and fire towards the fields from where the Jaikaray were coming from. As bullets began to fly once again, the Jaikaray continued. The Indian Commanders knew that the Singhs had almost run out of ammunition. As a consequence of this another bulletproof tractor was readied and sent onto the battlefield.

Upon seeing the tractor approaching, Bhai Gurnam Singh who was badly injured ran out of the fields he had taken cover in as he let loose with his AK47 rifle. On seeing this Singh of Guru Sahib make his final stand, even the commanders of the Indian Army stood in awe.

In the end Bhai Gurnam Singh ran out of bullets. This Singh had terrorized the Indian Army so much that even as he stood in the battlefield without any ammunition the soldiers were too scared to approach him. It was only after the ‘brave’ soldiers of Hindustan had made sure that the singhs posed no threat to them, that they mustered the courage to apprehend these saint soldiers. In a shameful ploy to kill Jathedar Seetal Singh, the Indian Army used the fatally wounded Bhai Gurnam Singh as a human shield. As Jathedar Seetal Singh watched his brother in arms walk on the battlefield with Indian soldiers hiding behind him, he knew that if he began to shoot, Bhai Gurnam Singh would be injured in the cross fire. The Indian Army took full advantage of this beautiful love between brothers as they riddled Bhai Seetal Singh Matewal chest with hundreds of bullets. As Bhai Sahib began to make his final journey back to the home of his king he shouted out, “Khalistan Zindabaad”, one last time.


Khadku Yodhe 2 – Maninder Singh Baja